1.13.2006

Speaking of Miss America

Congratulations to Nicole Johnson Baker and family on the addition of Ava, born 1/7/2006.

I read the transcript/listened to the post show podcast of the dLife episode where Nicole announced her pregnancy. I was struck by the fact that, when she was initially diagnosed, she believed that diabetes meant pregnancy was not an option (based on what people were telling her).

When I was diagnosed, one of the first things I did was tell the woman whose kids I babysat (I was 18). The first thing she said was, "oh, a friend of mine has diabetes and just had healthy twins." What a powerful and positive thing to say to a young woman who has just been handed a nasty diagnosis! Much nicer than, "oh, my aunt had a touch of the sugar and just had her toes amputated."

Ah, the power of words.

4 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger Vivian said...

There you go, that is what I am saying. The power of the words chosen make all the difference. I am so glad you had a great experience, I wish so many more people would think before they speak. Here is to more wonderful words.

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I tell the recently diagnosed is what my friend Fenney said to me, "For all your life, you've driven a car with an automatic transmission. Now, you need to learn to drive a stick-shift. You can still get where you want to go, but it may take a bit more thought."

It helped me view diabetes as just part of my life, not the end of my life.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Kassie said...

great analogy!

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Wish I had a dollar for everytime I've heard the last statement or something very similar!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home