Start Spreading the Bad News
(note: sorry, I seem to be unable to discuss NY without invoking that song.)
I've been reading the NYT series along with most of you. Day 1, I was furious. I felt the article was trotting out the worst case scenarios as a scare tactic, emphasizing patient failures, and glossing over the societal and financial barriers to good diabetes management. I engaged in a lively debate with my favorite on-line diabetes group, focusing on the blame game and patient responsibility. The debate invoked both the "Wah Wah" argument and the word 'troll' (note 2: what an awesome group of women who can passionately debate something so close to our hearts without getting ugly. Troll comment, which was mine, not withstanding.) I felt - as did a few others - that this was classic 'shock and awe' propoganda intended to soften us up to drop our objections to the NY Diabetes Registry (yes, that sounds silly when I write it down, but I'm a very cynical person.)
Then, I found out it was a series (oops). Day 2 gave us what many were hoping for: a glimpse into the world of the patients mentioned in Day 1. More information on those societal and financial pressures. A discussion of just how hard it is to change habits late in life and how hard it is to embrace the concept that you *must* take care of yourself *now* to avoid complications later in life (even when those complications are everywhere in your family and neighborhood.) Discussion of the disconnect that accompanies such an insidious disease - if you don't feel ill, how do you motivate yourself to treat your illness?
Today, Day 3, terrifies and infuriates me. I'm trying to turn that into motivation - sort of a 'well clearly the insurance companies will fail me until I need a toe lopped off, so it's going to be up to me.' I'm trying to figure out what job I can get to make enough money to never have to worry about insurance coverage. "Megamillions winner" comes to mind. I am shocked that most people only receive coverage for one strip a day. That's just flat out ridiculous.
As far as my thoughts, opinions, and reactions to this series, I'm just scratching the surface here. The last three days have been a whirlwind. I am anxiously awaiting Day 4. My cynical self is betting it will be an argument in favor of the Registry, perhaps portrayed as the only hope in this sea of diabetes despair. I still have huge issues with what I've heard about the Registry. The opt out seems ill-defined and I can see no value in sending a critical letter and some educational materials to people who are 'failing to meet diabetes treatment guidelines'. I'm willing to wait for more information before deciding.
But I just might be full up on diabetes information this week.
3 Comments:
The article is telling the truth and it isn't just in New York City. I have a friend on a government pension who only gets 50 test strips a month.
And the career to pick to be a diabetic. Teaching works for me. They don't pay well up front, but usually the benefits and pension are good and off set that.
Also the longer you are in the system, the harder it is for them to remove you. I've taught for 14 years, and while we don't have tenure in this state, my principal can't remove me before he removes someone with the same certification.
Also it's good to be certified in a core curriculum area.
I'm certified in math, so it's REAL hard to get rid of.
I don't doubt the veracity of the article. I am sorting out - and watching to see - what the point is (registry? increased research dollars? socialized medicine? tax on Kentucky Fried Chicken?)
I do need to find a job with a pension, that's for sure. This self-employed stuff won't work much longer!
Kassie, did you see this?
http://www.cafepress.com/c2cd/771568
Post a Comment
<< Home