1.13.2006

What's your A1c?

I know a lot of people with diabetes. It's unavoidable, having worked at Barton for about 7 years and having married a man who'd been involved with Camp Joslin since 1970. Add to those friends all of the on-line folks I've met, and the folks I've talked to over the past year as part of my book project, and we're talking a whole lot of peeps.

So periodically, I'm involved in a conversation about A1c's. Sometimes a number is casually dropped, sometimes people flat out ask what your latest 'score' is. Personally, I don't ask this question and I almost never divulge my actual number. Rather, I talk about how satisfied I am - or am not - with the latest value. This comes from having an A1c of 10 and feeling even worse when talking to someone who's hanging out in the 6's. But it also comes from being under 7 and talking to a friend in the 10's, and seeing their discomfort.

Recently, a pal of mine mentioned that her A1c was 7.6. I thought that was terrific. Turns out, she was devastated - highest she'd been in a while (or maybe ever). Oops, my bad. Different day, different friend: 7.8. "That's ok," I said. Oops, she'd finally dropped under 8 for the first time in about 4 years and, until I opened my mouth, was ecstatic.

Yes, there are hard and fast numbers that we need to shoot for. ADA says under 7, AACE says under 6.5, lab values may vary. Sure, there are some benchmarks. But I think for most of us, how we feel about that number is pretty important.

So I'd like to propose a new system for discussing our A1c's outside of the medical profession. It's based on the hospital pain scales, and illustrated using those annoying IM emoticons. Add the numbers as you see fit.



My last A1c? Definately frowning. But I'm hoping for at least a wink by March, then maybe a full-on grin this summer.

SAT scores and GPA available upon request

10 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger J said...

Kassie.. I looked in your past blogs but did not see what is the name of you book and when is it due to be out ? Julie

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Kassie said...

Hey there!

The book is called, "When you are a Parent with Diabetes: A Real Life Guide to Staying Healthy while Raising a Family"

I wanted to write it because after Jake was born, I pretty much fell off the planet where my diabetes was concerned. I wanted to explore ways to stay motivated, keep diabetes high on the list, etc. It also covers genetics, pregnancy, adopting when you have diabetes, talking to your kids about your diabetes, emergencies, talking about complications... all kinds of stuff.

I am hoping it will be available mid-May. Bayer (Ascensia) will be distributing thousands of free copies, and I think it will also be available in stores/on Amazon.

Thanks for askin'!

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Allison said...

I'm definitely the Smiley face. My A1C has reached the lowest point it's been in 6 years (7.3). Hopefully I'll be Grinning at the CWD conference in July. Will you be there?

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Olivia's last a1c was 9.2, so I'm the guy next to the red-faced guy. Sucks.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Kerri. said...

I'm The Wink. I'm always The Wink. Over the last three years, I've fluctuated between 7.8% and 6.4%. Wide fluctuation? Sure. But I'm always trying, regardless of the external influences (i.e. the breakup of a 6 year relationship, moving 3 times in 12 months, blood pressure issues, that cotton wool little bastard, and oh yeah, the job I don't care for) so every time my A1c comes in, it will forever be The Wink.

A1c: Ah ha! I've gone up .2 %. Go to your bed and cry!
Kerri: Not so much. I have to go to the gym. And then I have dinner plans.
A1c: No! To your bed! Go! Sob about your plight with diabetes!
Kerri: Later. Maybe after Nip/Tuck.

It's like our "grade," so it seems, as to how we're taking care of our diabetes. But sometimes my A1c doesn't reflect my efforts. So while it Winks, I give myself an A.

And wink back at it.

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kassie,
Thanks for this post on the "number" issue. When I got my last A1C back, I was dissapointed because it was only down 1% and really needed to be down 2%. My mom had taken the call from my MD office and when she told me that my MD was happy it made me feel better, but still not thrilled. So, I'm really hoping that on 2/16, my next appointment, I'll have a slightly better number. So thanks for the post on the lovely A1C that our efforts are measured by.

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello from said friend with A1c of 7.6! To me, I expect my A1c to be directly parallel to the amount of work I personally put into my D-care for those 3 months. If I'd been partying hard and never checking my BS, I'd have been like, oh well. But I was upset because, dangit, I work hard on my D! And dangit, I *was* a pumper and pumpers aren't supposed to have A1c's that high, right?

lol

All that was said while I was laughing, btw. I am proud to say that the average on my meter has dropped 25 points and taking a pump break has worked wonders for me and my social life.

So I hope we'll both be happier about our numbers next time around. That's the thing....there's always a NEXT ONE!
Love ya,
Theresa

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I read thru all the comments left before me and I started to feel pretty bummed. Up until I read those postings I was estatic about my new A1c. See I'm a 9.2 (shock! gasp! the horror!). And yeah, I admit thats not at all great but I recently came down from an A1c of 11.6 and back then was pretty rough. I developed neuropathy in my feet that left me completely bed-ridden for over 4 months. I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy. I lost 25 pounds almost overnight. I almost got kicked out of college and am now on Academic probation. I also found out that I have retainopathy (sp) but am not bad enough for surgery. So these last few months have been a real wakeup call. So I'm not near a 7 and I'm sure as **** nowhere near a 6, but I am a 9.2 and I'm proud as can be. I'd be the face w/ the big ol' grin!

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Bad Decision Maker said...

hi, I just found this post... i like it!!! especially "sats and gpas available upon request" hahahaha

the numbers game has always made me a little uncomfortable but i am still very tempted to play sometimes (and do). i said i wasn't going to put any numbers on my blog for the sake of numbers (putting a specific one on there to complain about a specific low or high, yes, but not posting a1cs and averages). but then last night when i was really tired i posted my graph of this week's blood sugars because it looked like a really jagged scary roller coaster and i was annoyed.

this morning i remembered why i don't do that - i got a comment indicating it was a big deal, and that made me feel bad. while i'm usually not that high/low, this graph wasn't that different from how i always am, so i felt bad.

so my last a1c in july - hard to say because i had so many pump problems that i wasn't really holding myself responsible for what happened. so probably the winker or the one to the left of the winker. the one before that in march was definitely the guy to the left of the winker, maybe better (and the lowest I'd ever been), and I was fully planning/hoping to be wearing the full-on grin by july, but the pump issues changed that. And now I'm feeling more pessimistic and burnt out and like I'm not doing a good job and not sure how to do better.

 
At 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could find someone like me...I am a brittle type 1 diabetic...I take 8 shots a day...and wake up with blood sugars of 375-475 mg/dl every morning...yet my a1c is 5.3 ...impossible you say? No it is not...and I can't find anyone like me out there...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home