3.29.2006

Smart Pump, Dumb Me

I woke up the other morning at about 5:30 am with that wonderful cotton mouth, dry eyeball, high blood sugar buzz. Reached for my pump to see what time it was and start a bolus - pressed the buttons - and nothing happened. Tried the touch bolus button - nada. Woke up enough to see the pump screen and realized it was completely blank.

Jumped (well, staggered) out of bed and into the bathroom to confirm that the pump was completely non-functioning. I was floored! A pump failure after 2 weeks?

No. A Kassie failure. Just before bed, I had removed the cozmonitor, which requires unscrewing the battery cap. The battery fell out and I popped it back in, upside down.

I completely failed to notice that the pump did not go through its little start up routine, which involves the pump beeping and vibrating and displaying its model number and other info. Hard to miss, right? Apparently not.

One mega combo bolus and 4 hours later, I was down to 132. Note to self: confirm pump is working after unscrewing the battery cap!

9 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger Nicole P said...

Yikes... I hate it when something like that happens.

Kassie, is John on a pump too?

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Kassie said...

No, he takes 3 shots/day. Still using NPH! But he's thinking about it. I just recently clarified for him the fact that there isn't actually a needle stuck in you the whole time. That freaked him out (and that was what kept me away from pumping until they came out with the soft sets.)

His A1c's are generally lower than mine. I'd like to see him pumping to avoid lows though.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Kerri. said...

Upsidedown battery. Classic!

Glad you're okay!

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you're OK! That reminds of the time I didn't know my canula was folded in half...for 10 hours!

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

Live and learn, right? :) It takes a few seconds for the pump to boot up...I always get nervous that it won't start up at all after I change the battery.

Anyway, we had pizza last night and I did the same 8 hour bolus technique. It worked out great again! He peaked at 93 and we had to cancel the bolus delivery with .37 units left to go.

He woke up at a 117 this morning...his target is 120.

Another success!

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Nicole P said...

Yay, Shannon! Great job with the pizza bolus.

Re: the shots... It's not actually a "needle" that stays in you, right? When I was first talking through it with my doc, she said that -- and I thought -- what if it breaks off inside of me? I was so relieved when I talked to a rep and they explained that the needle comes out -- what's left inside is just a tiny piece of plastic tubing... Phew.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Kassie said...

yeah, it used to be a metal cannula but for years the needle has just been part of the insertion process. So he didn't realize that had changed. Now that he knows, he seems less skeeved out by the whole deal.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger J said...

oh boy I thought It was just me with the dry eyes, I did that last night but went to bed and forgot to refill my resevoir so it ran dry ugh! glad it came down .

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kassie, I use the short battery cap on the Cozmo that does NOT attach the Cozmonitor. The leather battery case holds the Cozmonitor firmly in place. This lets me hook up to the computer without removing the cap. Works great. Thanks, Sandy, for the tip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home