8.26.2006

Big Fat Babies

Pregnant women with diabetes have to keep track of all sorts of numbers (carbs, ever changing insulin ratios, blood sugar results and A1c's) but perhaps the most vexing is the baby's weight. Any woman with diabetes (type 1, 2, or gestational) who has had a baby knows that diabetes contributes to macrosomia, also known as a baby that is large for gestational age (LGA). Fetal macrosomia has been defined in several different ways, including birth weight of 4000-4500 g (8 lb 13 oz to 9 lb 15 oz) or greater than 90% for gestational age after correcting for neonatal sex and ethnicity. Based on these definitions, macrosomia affects 1-10% of all pregnancies1.

A large baby increases your chance of a premature birth, c-section, or difficult vaginal birth. Macrosomic babies are also at risk for shoulder dystocia, breathing difficulties and low blood sugar after birth.

Maternal diabetes is the most common cause of macrosomia. More precisely, maternal hyperglycemia means more sugar in the baby's blood as well. "Hyperglycemia in the fetus results in the stimulation of insulin, insulinlike growth factors, growth hormone, and other growth factors, which, in turn, stimulate fetal growth and deposition of fat and glycogen2.

There are, of course, many other contributors to a baby's size (genetics, gestational age, baby's gender, and race), but those factors tend to get overlooked by both the doctor and the patient when a woman has diabetes.

When she has diabetes, a big fat baby is like a scarlet letter. Women who deliver average weight babies beam with pride over their accomplishment. Those who birth, oh, say a 10lb 10oz baby four weeks early... well, we spend a fair amount of time defending our diabetes self-management. To others, and to ourselves.

And women who walk out of their frequent ultrasound appointments with baby weight guesstimates that portend a big baby are often utterly terrified and filled with guilt. These amazing women, who are devoting every waking minute to trying to manage a disease that defies management (especially when hormones are wreaking havoc with their control) and who are committed to doing whatever it takes to have a healthy baby, these women are told or hear the message that high blood sugar equals large baby equals failure. And my heart breaks for them!

I went through two pregnancies where those other numbers (blood sugars) screamed "excellent control" but where the baby's weight (LGA from 18 weeks on) implied poor control. Which, in the eyes of your average ultrasound technician and L&D nurse, means mama didn't try hard enough.

I understand the need to put a consequence in front of people to motivate them to do their best. I just wish people would ease up on the guilt associated with diabetes numbers in general. To all you expectant moms with diabetes who are fretting over ultrasounds, please remember that estimated weight is just one piece of notoriously unreliable information, and don't beat yourself up over the prospect of a large baby! Because you have information and are being closely monitored, if your baby is large, your medical team will be prepared to deal with any potential problems. And to my sisters who delivered a big fat baby despite normal or near-normal A1cs, congratulations on the tremendous job you did bringing that new life into the world! He/she is beautiful :)

10 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger floreksa said...

Bravo Kassie!

My Ally was the "big baby" (10lbs 4.8oz) and nothing broke my heart more then hearing the surgeon tell a resident that he did the vertical uterus incision on me (negating any chance at a VBAC) because I "was diabetic, the baby was big and any future baby would be just as large", or the nurses "quietly" say "That's the diabetic mom's baby". :(

I wanted to hang a sign on my door screaming, "But my average A1C was under 6 the ENTIRE time!!!!"

Somehow the fact that I was over 9lbs as a baby and my husband was over 8.5lbs AND the fact that he's 6'1" and I'm 5'10" didn't have ANYTHING to do with it.

I thank god everyday for my endo and OB, both who attributed her weight to genetics and not at all to my D.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Very well said Kassie,

I cannot imagine the pressure that all of you D-Mothers and D-Mothers-To-Be go through. It's absolutely admirable and I can't express the recognition and respect I have for you.

This sentence really brought it home for me: "devoting every waking minute to trying to manage a disease that defies management (especially when hormones are wreaking havoc with their control)"

Exactly.

 
At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My girls were both exactly 8lbs, 1oz. My A1Cs were in the low 5's the entire pregnancy. But I heard my share of commments about my "big" babies because, "Oh, you're diabetic." I got so tired of defending myself and giving a mini-tutorial on diabetic pregnancies. This was from health professionals as well. Thanks for bringing this up. Still bugs me years later.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Michko said...

So glad you put this out there. There are so many mommies at Diabetic Mommy who I tell that an ultrasound estimate is a guesstimate not an estimate.

When I started freaking out that Maya was being guesstimated at over the 90th percentile, my peri looked me straight in the eye and said "some people just have big babies." Nothing about my diabetes ever came into the conversation. It was so nice to hear a doctor say that. Especially one who know how damn hard I was trying.

Maya was born at almost 40 weeks at a very respectable--and average-- 7 lb. 11 oz.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you, that was a very meaningful comment for me. Whatever the numbers, diabetic Moms are encourage to feel like they won't win - both deliberately and innocently. I probably thought I was doing much more poorly as a result of those insinuations, but I had a few excellent doctors who helped me see it all through.

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said Kassie!

I had an incredible OB my second pregnancy who, when looking at the ultrasound at 34 weeks, said, "I guess my machine is on steroids today because your baby couldn't be measuring THAT big!" My baby was measuring 9 lbs. 10 oz. Mind you, I'm barely 5 feet tall and my A1C's throughout the pregnancy had been in the low 5's, high 4's. Jaxon was born at 38 weeks and weighed in at 8 lbs. 5 oz. and he is my bundle of joy.

Many times I think that healthcare professionals just don't stop and think about what they are saying and how it is going to affect mom--not just at that moment but possibly for her lifetime. The comment that you made about diabetic moms "devoting every waking minute to trying to manage a disease that defies management (especially when hormones are wreaking havoc with their control)" rings so true. In the 22 years that I've been diabetic, the 2 years that I've been pregnant have been my best controlled ever and I spent hours worrying about my decision to carry a child let alone two. There are days when I feel selfish and guilty but then my daughter and son smile at me with those beautiful smiles and I know that I made the right decision.

Thank you for recognizing that.

Holly

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger If not a mother... said...

absolutely awesome post.

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first son was 6 lbs 5 oz and I was gd, diet controlled. My second son was 10 lbs 11 oz, and I was not gestional diabetic. I have begun to think genetics determine more than we give credit. Second was born at 39 weeks 5 days, first was 36 weeks.


.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Tiffany Swigart Nelson said...

I had a 10lb 6oz baby and did not have (I was a 79 on my glucola test)diabetes. But still everyone asked...like there was NO OTHER reason a person would have a large baby. I think that genetics DO play a huge role in how big of a baby you deliver.

I love my big old baby. He is strong and healthy and I want 3 more just like him!

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Kelly said...

Thank you so so much for posting this!!

My son was I guess what you would call a "whoops" baby. He was born when i was only 19. I found out I was pregnant 3 months into the pregnancy, and my OB said if he came out healthy it would be a miracle! I was in terrible control that first 3 months, and managed to tighten the numbers up the minute I found out. I spent 5 more months stressing out over giving birth to a child that may have birth defects, large birth weight, etc etc etc. Simply put, I was terrified! I went into premature labor at 32 weeks along. 2 days later, I went in for a C section only to find out that my son, estimated by the ultrasound technicians to be around 8lbs. was actually 10lbs, 15oz! He is a beautiful, healthy and happy boy now, almost 5 years old! I am so thankful that everything has turned out so wonderfully for us, but I am dreading the thought of going through another pregnancy! The things diabetic women go through while carrying a baby is no small feat!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home