1.29.2007

Julie Cooper, Wanda Plenn, and April Nardini

Subtitle: TV is Educational

Diabetes is often portrayed poorly on television, with story lines that include factual flaws and overly dramatic... shall we say... exaggerations. I assume that the same is true for other conditions, but since I don't have the first hand knowledge to compare fact with fiction, I can't say for sure.

As frustrating as inaccurate info is, sometimes the basics get through, and that can be a good thing. A character's illness can plant a seed of information that comes in handy down the road. Assuming, of course, that it doesn't lead one down the path of mis-self-diagnosis! TV + Google = Hypochondria (sometimes!)

So what does this have to do with Julie, Wanda, and April? All three are characters who have had appendicitis. And since I'd never had it, nor did I know anyone who'd had it, I can only assume that my basic knowledge of the symptoms comes from what I've seen on TV. The one thing that has always stuck in my mind is lower right belly pain, and pain that is worse when you push gently and let go. And that tidbit goes all the way back to the 70's and One Day at a Time.

When I woke up with a nasty stomachache in the middle of the night, I thought it was your average run of the mill bug. Dreadful, but no big deal. When the pain moved and settled into the lower right side of my belly, I got suspicious. And I must say, what little I knew about appendicitis pushed me past the usual internal "am I sick enough to go to the Emergency Room" debate. So it was off to the ER yesterday afternoon at 1PM.

By 9 I was in surgery, having my appendix removed.

Because it was caught so early, and the surgery was so uneventful, I was able to come home mid-day today and am now enjoying the perks of percoset and the benefits of bedrest (specifically, I have sole control of the upstairs TV. And it's pageant night. 'Nuff said.)

So thank you Julie, Wanda, and April, for your dramatic portrayals of appendicitis over the decades. I appreciate the heads-up!

On the diabetes front, pretty much everyone in the hospital was great. Most were very receptive to hearing about what I needed to do. We used my meter and blood sugar results for the first 8 hours (and would have used it after surgery but my lancet was left behind in the ER). They kept my pump on during the surgery, which was great because I didn't have to worry about any gaps in basal insulin, and I was able to take insulin as soon as I needed it (without having to wait for them to bring it to me). Aside from the asshole anesthesiologist who had a few ridiculous comments about my 210 blood sugar and the correction dose I had taken (he thought it was insufficient), I was in charge and didn't feel like I had to work extra hard to stay healthy, diabetes-wise.

15 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! I'm glad everything went well.

And, enjoy the Percocet:-)

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said...

I'm glad you caught it early. My aunt had a burst appendix and she wound up in the hospital for a week or so.

Enjoy the bedrest!!

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kassie

I'm glad to hear that you did such an accurate diagnosis. That rebound test trick is generally a good test (push in gently and let go, if the rebound hurts then it may be appendicitis).

I hope you have a quick recovery.

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Scary! Glad you got it taken care of!

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Kerri. said...

Whoa Kassie - I'm glad you're okay!!

 
At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch - here's to a quick recovery!

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Lyrehca said...

Wow--I bet THAT was unexpected. Glad everything went well and that you're recovering smoothly

 
At 2:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I am glad you are home safe again. Good work there!

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are Ok!! Enjoy the bedrest!

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my gosh!

I remember the lovely shade of green DH was when he had his removed. I also remember the phone call we had while he was driving home...

"Sarah, I really don't feel good. I think I had some bad McDonalds"

"That's nice, but I'm watching a really good CSI, so I have to go"

Oops.

Hope the percocets keep you feeling nice and pain free.

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goodness, quite an eventful day. I'm glad you're doing OK - and that you have the TV all to yourself. :)

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Zazzy said...

I'm glad it was uneventful - sounded eventful enough to me. Rest up and feel better soon!

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! I'm glad it went well and that it wasn't a nightmare on the diabetes front (minus the asshole anesthesiologist...) Wishing you a speedy recovery!

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Fred (Nic) said...

Oh my! I'm so glad that your soing well! And on the plus side you can join the special club of people without their appendix! I'm in it! And so is my bro. Woohoo.

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger art-sweet said...

SCARY!!

I'm glad you caught it early!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home