Coach
My husband has coached Jake's baseball team the past few years. The pre-season coaches meeting - where rosters were handed out - was earlier tonight. John came home and immediately started calling players, introducing himself and sharing practice time and location information.
One call lasted just a few extra minutes, and I wish I had been listening in, to hear it first hand.
This year, a third grader who I'll call "J", was rather randomly placed on our team. Jake knows J from school, even though he's a year younger, because J uses a cozmo pump, too. John quickly let the dad know that both he and I have type 1, and that I use a pump, and that he's been a diabetic for over 38 years.
John said the relief in that dad's voice was palpable (ok, palpable is my word). He also said he would be sure to be more obvious about checking his blood sugar at practices and games, so that J would know it's cool. John's excited that there'll be a kid with diabetes on his team.
Faithful readers and friends will know that I met John while we were both working at diabetes camp. You gotta love a guy who has already proven himself to be good with kids. And you gotta love a guy who sees a kid with diabetes and gets excited about showing that kid that having diabetes doesn't have to get in the way of important things like baseball.
And for the first time in possibly forever, J's parents do not have to worry about teaching a coach the diabetes ropes. We've got it covered!
9 Comments:
That is so AWESOME for J. What a lucky kid to have such a cool coach! :)
Wow, that is great for J to have your husband (and you) close at hand.
I LOVED this post, Kassie, John and your enthusiasm for helping J to see that diabetes is "no big deal -" at least when he's at the ball field - is really cool.
That is great! Speaking as a parent of a kid with d, I would LOVE it if O had a coach (or teacher, for that matter) that understood.
Even though I haven't met with them in forever, its one reason I enjoyed the Toddler's with D group I was apart of. They all loved that I "got" to wear a pump too.
That is so great. Riley's soccer coach last year turned out to be a CDE. It was a great relief to get someone who knew a little about D, but to get someone who is type 1 themselves, that's like hitting the lottery when you're the parent of a kid with D.
That's awesome.
One of the few times I blacked out from a low blood sugar was when I was a kid playing little league. I was too embarrassed stop the practice to tell the coach that I needed something to eat.
I vaguely remember my uncle picking me up from practice, and then the next thing I remember is sitting at my dining room table with a big glass in front of me with the remnants of OJ and sugar at the bottom and my worried parents pacing around.
Hopefully that will never happen to J.
Awesome!
One of the memories I have from being a young kid with D was a shitty t-ball or baseball coach who stuck me out in right field because he didn't think I could exercise or run as much as kids without D.
What a crappy coach! I wish I would have had John back then!
Now I get stuck in right field because I'm no good! I'm Ok with that reason!
Too cool. I LOVE getting students with diabetes... I'm a middle school teacher, and I try to ask for "my" kids. I have diabetes, and while they can't pull much over on me, they can also count on me. I love how your DH was so excited. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home