22 and 0
"You'd never know it from looking at your eyes."
That was my ophthalmologist's response to my saying that I'd had diabetes for 22 years. That's the exact response you want to hear, of course, but it was a stressful few minutes... hours... weeks waiting to hear it.
Obviously, I had my annual eye exam today. Except, it has been a smidge more than a year since the last one, and I had to force myself to make the appointment and go. Even though I know that the best way to handle eye complications is to be ALL over them, with timely exams and proactive care, making the appointment is an annual battle against the fear of the potential result.
During the exam prep, the technician who would be performing my vision test asked if I'd checked my blood sugar today, and what it was. I said, "which time?" and that (of course) threw her off a little. When I said "110 at noon, 190 at 8AM and 282 at 2AM" (damn pizza), she asked how long it had been fluctuating like that.
Sigh. "22 years," was all I could say.
To make things even more interesting, the doc's office has a new service. After they put the highlighter-yellow drops in your eyes, they leave you alone in the exam room while your eyes dilate... and show you an informational video about Diabetic Retinopathy, complete with an animated demonstration of lasers shooting into the computerized eye.
Seriously, I thought I was going to throw up.
After the video finished
6 Comments:
Wow, nice :( Glad your eyes checked out OK. I hope my eye doctor doesn't start showing that crap!
Oy. Glad to hear your eyes are fine, but what's the point of watching anything while they're dilating? My place shows a nature video and it's like, why waste anyone's time? Things are too blurry to see!
They show you videos while your eyes are dilating? My office gives me magazines that, after a few minutes, I'm completely unable to read. ;)
I'm glad your eyes aren't telling the tales of your 22 years with diabetes. I'm at 22 years, too, and that annual eye exam is always a scary one.
uck,I'd be throwing up too. That's an incredibly ill-timed action.
My office doesn't show movies, I usually just listen to my ipod while I'm waiting to dilate.
Glad your eyes are D-issue free.
Glad to hear it!
I can relate to this...The dreaded eye exam...I recently had my retinas checked with the VERY BRIGHT LIGHT and that magnifying thing my opthalmologist uses...also she also checked to see if there was any thinning or holes in my retina using a contact lens instrument that she pressed against my eye, with a jelly on it. I was NOT prepared for this at all and after she was done she told me not to wipe the goop away from my eyes, b/c they had been numbed up for the exam and she didn't want to risk me scratching my eye. Anyway, as soon as she said, "You can lean back," I fainted. I think I forgot to breathe during the exam. My BP was 70 over 60, and all these people came running, thinking it was blood sugar related...Anyway, now I'm not just anxious about the results of these exams but now I'm worried that I will faint again. I HATE these exams. I have moderate retinopathy having had Type 1 for 26 years. I have also had a blocked blood vessels and "cotton wool spots" in my retina and that was scary, but these went away on their own. I wish I could say these problems motivate me to take good care of myself, but not so much. I try, but there is so much wrong. I have also celiac disease, sjogren's and thyroid disease and another auto-immune skin disease. Makes everything that much harder. My 5 year old is the light of my life and keeps me going. I am so lucky to be his Mom, and I am very glad to find this blog! It's not easy to find other Type 1 adults!
Post a Comment
<< Home