It's not about the Insulin
I breeze past news reports about inhaled insulin or insulin in pill forms, because, for me, it's not about taking insulin. I think (especially with a pump) the act of taking insulin is the easy part.
I'm not saying that's true for everyone. I know there are many people with type 2 or gestational diabetes who dread the idea of taking shots. And I know that for weeks, maybe even months after diagnosis, I dreaded them. And the thought of an 18 month old needing multiple daily shots... well, let's just say I totally understand when shots are the biggest challenge.
Most days though, I'd personally be happy if all I had to do was take insulin. It's the counting carbs, gathering of supplies (I think my meter/lancet device/strips repel each other - how else can I exlain the fact that they end up in different places?), figuring of doses, frequently failed efforts to squeeze in some exercise, and (of course) the daily doses of guilt that get me.
I don't need an endocrinologist as much as I need a professional organizer and some solid math skills!
I once had an endo say to me "managing diabetes only takes 10 minutes a day." Technically, he was right (he'd counted it up one day, clocking all the steps it took to check blood sugar and take insulin). But as far as understanding the burden of diabetes? I don't think he could have been more wrong.
1 Comments:
I totally disagree with that endo. I would say diabetes, at least for me, is almost a 24 hours a day of thinking... I'm constantly thinking about: when did I eat? did I bolus enough? how do I feel now? Should I eat? Am I high? Do I need to test? Do I need to eat? Am I just tired or am I low? How much longer until I can/need to eat? If I go to my next class without eating, am I going to go low? Now am I going low? Did I bring everything?
These questions are on constant rotation to help me manage my disease. Now, granted, I'm fairly used to these questions and they fit right in with all my other thoughts and daydreams and plans for my day. But the point is, they're still there. All the time. And they probably won't go away until there is a cure... I may get a few breaks here and there, when I'm taking notes in class or when I'm asleep. But I'm constantly going back through these questions and I think it's pretty safe to say, everyone else does too.
Post a Comment
<< Home