I Want a New Drug
Well, not really. At this morning's endo appointment, when my A1c was revealed as the lousy number I was expecting, my doctor asked me if I'd heard or thought about symlin.
Thanks to my larger-than-life network of friends with diabetes, I have heard of symlin and know a lot about its benefits and potential issues. Several women in an online group to which I belong have been taking symlin for a while. Let me pause here to give a shout out to those awesome people who are willing to try something new, to kick the tires of a new drug or protocol or machine, giving those of us who hang back a little some additional data and real-life first-hand accounts. Huzzah!
I hadn't considered asking for symlin yet, but when I described my challenges and concerns, the doc brought it up. So on the spot, I decided to go for it. Impetuous? Not really, thanks to the aforemented brave circle of diabetes friends.
I will confess that I am waiting until *after* our holiday party this weekend to start. I don't want to risk the nausea that I've heard can occur with symlin when I have 50+ people in my house. But after that, I'll be adding a new drug to my arsenal. I think it will do me good, especially where my troublesome post prandial blood sugars are concerned. If it can reduce my total daily insulin use, it will be worth it. And if the weight loss that accompanies its use plays out for me, I'll be happy as a pig in... well, you get my drift.
So now it's insulin and symlin. Probably in the next year or so, I'll add ACE inhibitors to protect my kidneys. We've also started to watch my cholestorol - still well within range but 'high normal' for a person with diabetes. By the time I hit 40 I'll be on at least 4 maintenance medications. Say a little prayer that I always have health insurance with prescription coverage.
It's a double edged sword, this fatal disease that you can live with.
My apologies to those of you who now have the voice of Huey Lewis stuck in your head.
4 Comments:
Woohoo! Another convert! Yes!
I've been on Symlin since September, and let me say right now, there's a bit of an adjustment period. I think it took me about a week and a half before we figured out my correct dose of Symlin and insulin. It was kind of frustrating, but I like it now. Actually, we just adjusted it again for lunch- I would buy lunch and then I wouldn't be able to eat it. So we backed down to 8 units and I can finally eat again.
I, too, sometimes choose to skip Symlin. I did that for Thanksgiving. I was like "I *want* to eat a lot, thank you!"
Let me know if you have any questions, but it sounds like you have a lot of people you can talk to. Just remember, like everything else with diabetes, NOTHING is set in stone. Well, I suppose testing regularly and taking insulin are set in stone, but even those are negotiable.
Yes... Huey Lewis & the News... in my head...
Can't. Get. Them. Out!
Anyhow, we've had no experience with Symlin here (Joseph's only 10, and I'm not sure it's even an option for kids), but I'll be curious to read of your experience with it...
I actually would like to give Symlin a shot (no pun intended). I tend to have problems with post meal sugar levels...and I know that symlin can help with that significantly. I also like that it can help with the weight loss process...something I also struggle with. I'm hoping to bring it up with me Endo at my next appointment. If it helps, it's worth taking it.
Give it a chance, it might be something beneficial to you.
Nothing to do with symlin - just wanted to say thanks for your comments on my blog about baby lust. I can imagine that there is so much less worry with a good a1c pregnancy - I think I just needed to vent. Seems so unfair that something other than the decisions of me and my husband dictate something like that. But when it's all said and I done - yep, I'll take the healthiest baby its in my power to create.
:-) Erica
Post a Comment
<< Home