Not Good Enough
I joined the people-with-diabetes club in '86 when it seemed that an A1c under 10 was great. The tools for management just weren't there, and the DCCT had not yet proven Dr. Joslin was right by quantifying the value of tight control.
Over the past 19 years, so much has happened in the world of diabetes. I've gone from a big old 60 second Accuchek meter that required a hanging drop of blood on a strip that I wiped with a cotton ball to a smart little meter that doesn't even need to be coded with strips that wisk a tiny drop of blood off my finger. Chunky needles and 2 shots of NPH and Regular each day have given way to Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion. Gone is the system of exchanges that dictated meals. Now, a carb is a carb is a carb... as long as you count it.
You newbies with diabetes have no idea how good you've got it (just as I my diabetes adventures really don't hold a candle to those before me, with their stories of bathroom chemistry sets and needles that needed to be boiled and sharpened).
Technology marches us forward, and there is great reason for big hope, if not for a cure then at least for health and longevity despite this disease. We can - and many do - achieve normal or near-normal blood sugars most of the time.
And I have to say, it's kind of freaking me out.
The discovery of insulin made diabetes the first fatal disease you could live with. And even before insulin became available, living with diabetes was up to the patient. There's a boatload of guilt there, and I think that recent advances have only added to that pressure. Diabetes is unpredictable and irrational. The routine that works like a charm one day is easily thrown off any one of a million variables. But when the A1c comes back high, well, we think, "What am I doing wrong?"
I spend a lot of time on discussion boards that include women with diabetes who want to become pregnant. It breaks my heart to hear some of their struggles to acheive an acceptable A1c before conceiving. The bar has been set so high (or, rather, the A1c goal has been set so low) and there are stories of 'permission to TTC' being withheld by doctors who insist on A1c's below 6 before conception. To make their point, they rattle off the horrors that can result from conceiving before acheiving diabetes perfection. Information which is largely based upon conjecture, as most of the (now somewhat old) research says that an A1c under 8.5 puts you in the same statistical boat as non-d women. To me, who was given the pre-conception goal of under-8 in 1997, it seems overwhelming.
Hanging out on line with the d-elite (motivated, informed, well-cared for people with resources to manage the disease) is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, I am inspired by the stories of control achieved. On the other, I sometimes wonder what the heck I'm doing wrong - and what kind of life I'd have to live - to achieve 'normal'. I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I hear people complain about their horrible A1c's... and they are a full point below my best.
Anyone else feel that they are just not good enough at this diabetes stuff?
10 Comments:
Yes. A daily struggle for this diet/exercise type 2, wondering how much longer I can go on just diet/exercise.
One of these days I need my type 1 husband to post to my new d-blog, too.
Thanks for your post. It made me realize that even when I am complaining and angry about diabetes, I am always making strides (an A1C of 7.3 is great after years of 9s to 12s (if I went to the doctor at all)).
I needed that bit of confirmation -- as i face the guilt and pressure and hopes on getting the 6 A1C so I can TTC.
Thank you,
Kassie,
I am so glad someone finally said this out loud.
My sugars have been creeping up, and I'm feeling like I'm failing all over the place these days.
Best,
AmyT
The folks on the message boards scare me a bit. I used to read them daily (the ADA boards) but the people out there seem to be diabetes nazi's. I remember reading one guy who was upset with an A1C of 6. I could only hope!
But I think Jay is right on with his sports metaphor over at Cyber Pancreas last week. It's about a short memory. One bad golf shot (or bad round) does not define a golfer. It's about an entire career. After almost 20 years- with no complications- I think I am doing ok at the diabetes thing.
To steal from the best golf book out there... Diabetes is not a game of perfect.
-Bug
As a newbie when I read about the way treatment used to be, I am very thankful...
We were ttc our second baby right before I was dx'd. I am so glad that we didn't suceed - my a1c was 11.6. I'm afraid to know what my second a1c will be after feeling like I'm doing everything in my power to achieve a tight control.
Powerful post. There's plenty of guilt and judgment about this disease, particularly the self-management aspects of it, all over the Internet and in the medical community as well. It IS a double-edged sword: we have the capacity to manage it better than ever before--especially, as you note, through technology--yet with that capacity comes a pressure to achieve perfection and a sense of criticism, sometimes, over the choices we make. I've seen people pass judgment on others for not pumping (I imagine the reverse happens as well) or even for pumping with the "wrong" brand of pump. Far more disturbing, I've seen criticism of people who develop or even die of complications--and their family members--for having insufficient control. This kind of attitude seems to prevail among PWDs who are enjoying "good control" and can't see why others aren't as readily able to achieve the same success--unless they're lazy or undisciplined.
It's so painful to struggle and not meet the mark, especially for those of us wired toward perfectionism in other areas of life. As a control-obsessed honeymooner with a pump, I've had mostly good fortune so far. But my 300s drive me absolutely batty. Hell, so do the 200s. I don't know of any other diseases that oblige the patient to receive a "grade" 6 to 8 times a day.
I'm a newbie (just over 1 year as a type 1) and believe me, I DO know how good I've got it. I've met and read about people who have lived with this disease for 60+ years, and I'm immensely grateful for the gifts technology has provided. No syringe boiling every day, no peeing on strips to find out what the BG was 8 hours earlier, and so on and so on. There's no comparison.
But that gratitude doesn't make it a piece of cake, as you observe. I'd like to have a baby in a couple of years, and as my honeymoon is on the wane I'm increasingly anxious about the very A1C goals you mention. I see trouble ahead. I'm hoping the resources--technological and emotional--that Modern Diabetes has to offer will be up to the trouble ahead.
I'm really in touch with this post. It is such a struggle, and having to count, calculate, estimate, guestimate, anticipate and react to EVERYTHING really pisses me off most of the time. I get tired of it. The fact that I don't have a choice about it pisses me off too.
We do have better tools than we used to, but it has not moved far enough fast enough. Insulin is still a treatment, and the mental torture that we endure every day takes a toll on us.
I think that for the most part, it's good to see people really working to get those A1C's down. I think it shows that the general education level for PWD has really made some moves in the positive direction. In the long run I think it will reduce the number of physical problems those folks have, if any. Though we may all eventually be completely nuts from obsessing about it all the time!
I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that there is always room for improvement. If you have an A1C in the 7's you are shooting for the 6's, if it's in the 6's you're pushing for 5's, etc. When will it be good enough?
Me? I feel like a complete failure most of the time. Stuck with A1C's in the mid to high 8's when things are good, and in the low 9's usually. How long can I last with numbers like that? Then I get down on myself and start eating junk food for comfort. Which makes me feel worse and just sucks me down the spiral of guilt and lack of self care.
It's like this inevitable punishment that I can't avoid. I know it's out there, but can't see it, can't feel it, but know it's coming...
I'm looking over my shoulder all the time, and missing the rest of life passing me by. I'm just tired of living that way.
But, this is a thing that "they" say *I* can control. I'm in charge of myself (or should be). Why is it so hard to make that move?
What a negative comment - I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to bring us down, maybe I'm just feeling a little guilty this morning or something.
We can't give up, we must keep marching foward one step at a time. Even if we take two steps forward and one step back, we are one step ahead of where we were.
Easy to say, hard to do. Thanks for the post and starting the dialogue.
I feel the same. Ive been type 1 for 21 years and on the pump for 12. No matter what I do I cant do better than an A1c of 8. My doctors make me feel like Im killing myself. I take Diovan to protect my kidneys and at age 40 I have no complications.
Even someone with consistent A1Cs under 6.5% can understand the feelings of guilt and failure and fear that come with elevating A1Cs -- trust me on that. My last A1C was 6.3%. My doctor let me know that although that is "OK," it is up from my previous A1C of 5.7%, leaving me to go home and see how many more restrictions I can place on my life (I've given up fried food, pizza, and any and all types of alchohol already to get where I am.) It always feels like the more you achieve, the more you're expected to achieve -- and that is frustrating.
Having had diabetes for 26 years, I know the rigors of urine testing, blood droplets that are huge -- and still not enough to properly cover a chemstrip, up to 6 shots a day (with a doctor who believed that more shots and smaller doses equals better control... OK, so he was probably right), and pump needles that cause ugly bruises... But none of those challenges compare to the mental rigors of the disease. The constant second guessing and wondering and reaching for numbers that seem totally unattainable.
I know that it's a struggle to bring A1Cs down from above 7 -- but even after you've gotten down that far, there's STILL work to be done... And it NEVER ends.
Perhaps the "Nazi-ism" that folks see from people with A1Cs in the 6's is just a reflection of their own challenges with the disease, their doctors, and their bodies.
I'm sure that our reactions to other people with diabetes reflect our own struggles and perceived failures.
I think my biggest concern about the push for 'normal' is that even with the wonderful tools we have at our disposal, we can not mimic the body when it's working. I'm just not as smart as a functioning pancreas! So I'm trying to balance strong health with happiness, I guess, but all the while realizing that my diabetes success does not rest solely with my behavior.
Post a Comment
<< Home