The Office Christmas Party
I work from home so my office party basically sucks. Just me and the cats, hanging out, drinking some egg nog. We tried a Secret Santa once but the cats figured out who had them, and I wasn't happy receiving hairballs.
So, I'm reaching back into my memory and calling up a story of an Office Christmas Party of yore...
It was December, 2001, when I worked on-site for The Shriver Center. The highlight of the party - the only reason to go, in fact, was the staff dessert contest. This year, I was determined to beat Vadim, the guy from IT who'd won 3 years in a row. The previous year, I had managed 3rd place with my last minute apple cranberry tart (a suprising, non-chocolate, 'dark horse' entry).
I found my latest recipe months before the party. I tried to psyche out the competition, letting it be known around the office that Vadim was going down. Four dark chocolate layers, concealing raspberry preserves. An inch thick classic crustless New York cheesecake center. True buttercream icing with a layer of crushed walnuts around the side. Perched atop the center were a few sugared walnuts. It was gorgeous.
I was pregnant and vigilantly watching my blood sugars. Every craving I'd been denying myself was layered into that cake.
I paced the party, trying to guage reaction to my masterpiece. I'd go up to people I'd never met in hopes of winning their favor, on the off chance that they were one of the secret judges. Vadim was nervous - I could tell by the way he was eyeing the room and the dessert table, comparing my gorgeous creation to the decadent trifle he was said to have worked on until 2 am.
Rumors were flying... did the heath bars Vadim used in his trifle disqualify him? A quick check of the rules confirmed that store bought ingredients were perfectly acceptable. Did Vadim really make his own desserts, or was Mrs. Vadim his secret weapon? His dad, also an employee, denied this wholeheartedly. I believed him if only because I'd seen the glint in Vadim's eye when the subject of chocolate was brought up. We were simpatico, two connosieurs with an appreciation for a duel to the last crumb. In our little tango, there was no Mrs. Vadim.
Finally, it came time for the big announcement. I was a nervous wreck, sitting with my group at our table at the Watch City Brewery in Waltham. Third place was announced - some dessert wannabe from the genetics lab and her idea of a torte (ha!). I was relieved to have dodged that bullet. It was down to me and Vadim, and the buzz was palpable. And the second place winner was...
Me. I was crushed like the walnuts that graced the side of my cake. I barely had the strength to step forwad to receive my prize and crawl back to my table. Fer chrissake, who beats a PREGNANT DIABETIC in a dessert contest???
My only consolation was when Vadim came over to me and told me that he had tasted my cake and was certain I'd beat him. It was the best he'd ever had, and he wanted the recipe.
Not bloody likely, Vadim, not bloody likely.
no names have been changed because who among us is really innocent? ;)
5 Comments:
That made me laugh out loud.
We had our office party yesterday. Alas, there was no dessert contest -- just a kind of stale yellow cake with whipped cream frosting from the local supermarket...
I think my favorite part of this is the villian-heroine dance you create just before the winner is announced... No Mrs. Vadim...
Great.
I can totally understand not sharing with Vadim, but what about the O.C.? Purlease? That sounds deliciously decadent and divine. Chocolate and cheesecake. Heaven on a plate.
what Julia? you can't eat that ;)
The actual recipe is packed away somewhere. The gist of it is a dark chocolate cake (mix will do fine). Torte the layers and spread raspberry jam between (thin it out with a little water and a little time in the microwave).
For the cheesecake part, make a cheesecake but only pour <1 inch into the pan. No crust - just butter the pan well. You can use a hot knife to slide it off the pan.
Spread raspberry jam on top of bottom layers, lay down cheesecake, spread another layer of jam, and finish with top 2 layers.
Make a real buttercream (the kind that involves a stand mixer, ridiculous amts of butter, eggwhites and a simple syrup). Frost the cake and press crushed walnuts or pistachios around the side.
Then Bolus. Bolus, bolus, bolus.
I don't know, I think Vadim's desserts are suspect, either that or he's sleeping with one or all of the judges LOL.
Kassie, I did not realize that you were so upset at loosing. Had I known ahead of time, I would not have slept with 2 of the judges the week before ;)
We definitely missed you these past 5 contests one of which I came in second with a Tiramisu Cheesecake and that's only because one of the judges had a grudge against me - she was the wannabe that placed third in 2001.
I am sure that Bob e-mailed you our results from yesterday's contest. It is pretty hard to beat the "Napoleon Chocolate Eclair", but I keep on wodering how your cheesecake would have stacked up against it. BTW: Bob's Chocolate Pecan Pie (2nd place) was magnificent, so was the Ricotta Cheese Pineapple Cheesecake entry that did not place.
I hope you are enjoying your holidays. All the best to you and our family.
Vadim.
p.s. Mrs. Vadim - Nelly (no, she did not cook)
Post a Comment
<< Home