3.15.2006

Good Morning Breakfast Lovers!


Good morning breakfast lovers and how-ya-do-ya
We'll wake up to sunshine and how-ya-do-ya
Good!
Morning!
Breakfast!


There's that camp life sneaking in again. That ditty served as a pre-breakfast, rouse those sleepy campers, not quite grace cheer at Barton and it's been running through my head these past few mornings.

Why? Because I have been up and at 'em bright and early for the past 5 days or so.

Why? Because I am not waking up high.

Why? Because I freakin' LOVE my new pump.

The difference is dramatic. Despite the fact that it's Girl Scout Cookie season, I have had only a handful of +200 blood sugars since last Thursday. My meter average has dropped to 139 (oh, by the way, remember how I'm "not into numbers"? Yeah, maybe I'm just not that into crappy numbers.)

I'm even to the point where I'm no longer afraid of breakfast. I was so fed up with waking up high and needing so much insulin to cover so little food, I was barely eating more than a piece of toast, and often waiting until after 10:30 to do that. Now, I'm actually eating! I'm still tinkering with morning carb-to-insulin ratios (that purple pump didn't obliterate my dawn phenomenon) but it's so nice to not be cowering in fear of a post prandial 300.

I'm beginning to think it wasn't my diabetes that was wreaking havoc - it was my lousy math skills. Or maybe my old pump was failing more than I realized. Or maybe this is just basking in the glow of a new gadget (I do feel way more motivated to actually look up carb values, knowing that the pump will make that effort worthwhile). Who knows.

I'm just happy to be a morning person again!

9 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

I can't wait to see your A1C result at your next visit...if you don't mind posting, that is :)

And letting the pump do the calculations is one more burden off your chest.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Kerri. said...

Welcome back to wonderful mornings, Kassie. I'm so glad that your new pump has rendered you "back to normal."

After a fashion, of course. :)

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Michko said...

I'm not into bad numbers either and tend not to test when I know I'll be high. Glad to hear the pump is working out!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger diabeticfeed said...

Kassie -
Nothing says "I love the pump" than a couple of Tag-a-longs and no spike in blood sugar. :) Congrats on your new pump. That "yea!" feeling still hasn't worn off for me, and it's been 6 months!
Cheers,
Christel

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to what you're feeling totally. It is exactly the way I felt when I switched to the IR1200 last year.

The best bit: my A1cs had gradually crept up over the last year before my switch to Animas. I shaved almost 2% off in two months!

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Nicole P said...

Excellent Kassie, another standing "O"... Round the Dining Hall with you again today, you're on a roll lately!

At our blogger Pre-Union I was saying something about how much more motivated I was to really count carbs when I got a pump with a bolus wizard... It really does make a difference, doesn't it?

Congratulations! Enjoy your basking.

Crazy Barton Girls
Make
High bloodsugars
Things of
The Past

That's my belated poem.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love having breakfast...it is just about the most satisfying meal for me..if I could eat breakfast all day I would. I think the pump changed breakfast for me too - but I still haven't figured out the bagel...I guess I'm not a real New Yorker!!!

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for you and your pump Kassie! I'm so glad it's working so well!

You
Kan
Whack
All
High
X-treme
Insane
Sugars!

Okay, my verification code poetry sucks.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Lyrehca said...

Congrats, Kassie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home