Life gets in the way of Living with Diabetes
High noon today: appointment with a pump trainer down in Richmond. I've successfully restrained myself, haven't put the pump on, haven't even really tried to program it beyond the pre-training steps recommended in the manual. I did install the software on my computer and enter all my current basals, ratios, and preferences. I love that you can do that on the computer and not hunched over the pump, trying to press the right combination of buttons.
At about 4am, Jake woke up looking for a drink of water. When I kissed his forehead to settle him back to sleep, it was on fire. Roused him for some tylenol, put him in the big bed with me, and tried to fall back to sleep.
Instead, I drifted in and out of sleep while reaching out to feel his forehead as he cooled down. In my head, I debated whether or not he should go to school. They're dropping like flies at his school with a late round of colds and flus and strep. I shouldn't be surprised he finally succumbed but the timing, frankly, sucks.
Because I'm anxious to start my new pump, because I'm watching my old pump with a wary eye, and because my husband is out of town and there's no one who can stay with Jake while he's home sick, I actually (briefly) considered dosing him up and sending him anyway.
Briefly.
Of course he and his nasty germs are staying home. Hopefully, the pump trainer has time later in the week to meet with me. I have enough Energizer 357's stockpiled to keep my current pump going. Diabetes gets put on hold in big and little ways all the time. As a parent, the challenge is to keep that from happening too often or too completely. Heck, as a human being, that's the challenge!
I'll need to do something nice for my diabetes today, since it's taking a back seat to my feverish 8 year old.
8 Comments:
I'm a rebel, but I say hook that Cozmo up and start pumping!!!
The only reason I didn't hook mine up before my training appt was 1) my endo begged me not to ;) and 2) she begged me not too cause I was pg at the time
Oh and hope Jake feels better soon!!!
You're doing better than I did! I played with the pump so much before the training that I had to rewind it. Despite the "do not rewind under penalty of death" instructions from mini med. The nurse was not too thrilled when I told her that the longest continuous pumper in the US told me to do whatever I wanted with it, that I could not break it. And then just smiled.
Hope that Jake is feeling better soon!
Caren
lol! I'm just keeping 'hands off' because I'm certain I'll break it and void the warranty or something. I'm a rules kinda gal.
Kassie,
That's great that you got the pump finally!! I'm sorry you Jake is sick. I hope for both of your sakes he gets better soon. I know how anxious you are to get started with the pump. You're going to love it :)
Kassie, is there a 800 number to call sometimes they do it right on the phone they did that for me just to get started then I met up with the trainer? not sure if this is an option I know how excited you are to get started.
That must be frustrating, having pumped for as long as you have and now being told to wait for a pump trainer. I'm sure you could be a pump trainer for someone... but as long as Jake is feeling better soon and you aren't, singlehandedly, raising the stock value of Energizer batteries, you'll be pupming soon.
Godo luck, Kassie!
That is motherhood to a T! Anytime I have an important deadline, meeting or appt - it never fails that something happens with Hannah :-( Knock on wood - not so much this year - but last year it was so predictable it wasn't funny anymore.
Hope you can get started with the new pump soon!
Post a Comment
<< Home