4.17.2006

Bolus Worthy

I once dated a guy who noticed a few cans of regular coke in my kitchen, and immediately assumed that I was 'cheating' by drinking regular coke (for obvious reasons, the relationship didn't work out.)

My reaction to his comment was actually not about his take on how to manage my diabetes but instead was about how totally unworthy regular coke was (and still is) as a 'cheat' item. I developed diabetes after the diet food market started to take off, and five years after diagnosis, I couldn't stand the taste of the regular stuff. Which is what makes it an ideal reaction treatment - no danger of diving into it unless I actually need it.

Now that I have the flexibility of a pump and carb-counting, from a diabetes perspective there are few completely off-limits foods. But in an effort to stay on track health-wise (and to make sure the 3 days worth of insulin in my pump actually lasts three days) I have to decide whether or not a high-carb item is 'bolus worthy'.

For my sons' Easter baskets, I bought Sweettart jelly beans - the kind of sweet/sour combination that kids love but I can't stand, and therefore not a temptation. Jellybeans may be bolus worthy but I've yet to figure out how to bolus for them without going through a nasty spike. Other items in their baskets, like cheap chocolate in the shape of race cars or spongebob, are specifically chosen for their non-bolus-worthiness. If I'm going to splurge on chocolate it's going to be the good stuff.

Nestled on the top of each basket (with spares hidden away in a cupboard) is the one Easter basket treat for which I will gladly dial up a dose. Best served when slightly stale and chewy, I'm talking about your friend and mine: the marshmallow peep.

Yellow only, please. The blue and purple ones are just wrong. And no, before you ask, I just can't get on board with the halloween and christmas peeps.

Five of them contain more carbohydrate than my average lunch. But they are non-fat, which bumps them up a notch on the food pyramid, right? And their carb value is the perfect number (8 per peep), as my insulin-to-carb ratio most of the day is 1:8. That's the kind of math I can handle.

What indulgent items do you consider bolus-worthy?

14 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Nicole P said...

Peeps. Good white chocolate (my apologies, Julia). Crab Rangoons (I know, they're not "off limits," but they are difficult to bolus for), and cake frosting (yeah, yeah.)

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Keith said...

Kassie:
I too am very choosey about selecting items that are 'bolus worthy'. Junk, is just junk and like you, is not tempting to me. Ice cream is my biggest weakness. Blue Bell's (available when we lived in Texas) Chocolate Pistachio Truffle was one of my worst. Now it's Mayfield's Moose Tracks or actually any kind with big chunks of chocolate goodness in a rich ice cream base. Ahhhhh!

(That's why I don't buy ice cream very often.)

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Nicole P said...

Moose Tracks. MMMM.... Man, the OC is just making me hungry today.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Erica said...

I. Love. Peeps. I made dh buy me one of the chocolate eggs with the peep inside and that is it. If we actually had a whole package I'd be afraid of myself. And slightly stale is the best way to eat them.

Rita's gelati's (59 carbs)are my favorite bolus-worthy treats. I would rather bolus for those 59 carbs sometimes than bolusing for something actually healthy like a 30 carb banana. Kind of messed up.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Kerri. said...

Plain cheesecake with strawberries and whipped cream from the cheesecake factory ... totally bolus worthy.

That, and black raspberry ice cream.

I'm going to get a snack now. :)

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

What's with the frosting? LOL :) I love the stuff too...but mainly the Pillsbury white/Vanilla kind. It really is sickingly sweet, but I could eat it by the spoonful.

As for Easter candy... Cadbury mini-eggs, or dove eggs... I like my chocolate on the plain side. Don't put any crap in it, please :).

Oh and I like white chocolate too :)

 
At 1:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Kassie,
It's all about the chocolate (brown chocolate, that is). Plus the occassional Frozen Yogurt. If I'm going to screw up my control for 2 days, it better be good!!

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger floreksa said...

M&Ms. My ABSOLUTE favorite item and when they started making the dark chocolate ones....OM.MY.GOD.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Well, I don't have diabetes, but if I did - Five Star Bars (oh my GOD, they're good). Dark chocolate (good stuff, not Hershey's). Cheesecake (honest-to-god NY-style cheesecake, not mix from a box).

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Cadbury Creme Eggs.
Best 2 days after easter when on sale.
Digusting when still on newsstand counter in October covered in dust.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Kassie said...

you know, I've never felt closer to my fellow oc'ers than I do right now.. sniff sniff...

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a little off topic, but anon. lurker mom, here again. feeling a little punky after the easter dinner dirty looks I got when my now 10 yr old sat down with her chocolate cupcake for 8 p.m. snack. Everyone else had dessert closer to dinner, but I hadn't counted dessert for her humalog shot so I told her to pick something to have at snack time. I guess some family education time is in order ... i think there are two approaches: one, tell sis and company to myob, that my daughter and i have it under control or two, declare healthy choices only for all at family parties in the future. (although we all know that serving of lovely fruit salad is just as carb heavy as the cupcake!) Ah. Thanks for letting me vent.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Kassie said...

seriously, I think the "Yes, dammit, I CAN eat that" tee shirt would be a big seller.

Next time have a 'guess the carb count and associated bolus' contest. Whoever wins gets a nice bowl of fruit salad, while your daughter enjoys that cupcake.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Yeah, I'm with you, Meredith. Cadbury Creme eggs are like Devil spunk in a nasty chocolate shell. Bleurgh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home