7.24.2006

A newly discovered challenge

I consider myself to be well versed in the challenges that people with diabetes face while juggling their self care and the care of their family.

Tonight, though, I came across a new one.

How do you tell the difference between a low blood sugar and the adrenaline rush/stress/excitement of a little league playoff game???

Our Red Sox had their first playoff game tonight. We gave up two runs in the top of the first and then went 3-up 3-down. Not a good omen.

We held our own through the second and third, and found our rhythm in the fourth to pull ahead 8-5. After a big big controversy over game length (time had expired but the promised 5 innings had not been played) and a fifth inning that didn't count (to allow the other team to play all of their players), we walked away with a win and a spot in the big championship game.

I must have tested 5 times. I was convinced that I was low while chasing Ryan, or when my stomach dropped in reaction to a tense play.

I wasn't low, I wasn't dropping, in fact I was creeping up. But giving the amount of pacing I was doing, I opted to wait to correct.

Who knew parenting a little leaguer could have such an effect!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home