Four of a Kind.
Here we are again, in the throes of diagnosis. Ryan, who will turn 8 in May, has diabetes.
Except, this time, the throes is less of a whirlwind and more of a sigh. A long, sad, sigh.
When Jake was diagnosed 16 months ago, I was surprised. Even though John and I both have it, I always felt that we might get lucky with our kids, considering that it is nowhere in either of our families. I had high hopes for that 17% chance of 'passing it on' that we'd been given. And, statistically speaking, I think those hopes were not unjustified. But it was still a shock.
Ryan, since Jake's diagnosis, has spoken of "when" he gets diabetes, not "if". I never wanted to think that way, never spoke it out loud, but certainly felt like our 17% chance had been blown out of the water by Jake's diagnosis. If it happened, I hoped he'd be older so that he'd have more days with normal blood sugars.
As many of you know, diabetes in an 8 year old is a very different beast than diabetes in a 13 year old. There is much more to process regarding school (we're currently in a mini-battle with the bus driver about accommodations) and much more for me to do. Jake has never asked me to give him a shot or prick his finger, but Ryan needs that kind of assistance. Five days in, though, and he's already successfully tried pricking his own finger.
Once again, we caught it very early. He was not at all unwell, in fact it was just an odd feeling about his sleeping patterns and overall mood that prompted me to test him. We spent just a few hours at the pediatric endo's office, skipping most of the training and just focusing on his starting doses, and then we were on our way.
Ryan's attitude has been tremendous. He was happy when he realized that now he'll get an afternoon snack at school (like his 2 classmates who have diabetes. Yes, both of the kids at his school who have diabetes are in his class. It's a tremendous help.) Before we left for the doc, when I didn't want to say for sure that he had it, he asked me, "what if I have diabetes?" and I said, "well, first of all, welcome to the club!". His immediate response: "can I run for President?"
Obviously he has my vote!
10 Comments:
Sigh...
I'm sorry to read your news.
I saw this headline on DD and my heart sank. I am sorry that you have to head down this road again.
Kassie ... This stinks! As parents, everyone wants life to be better for their kids than themselves (well, usually!) and as you note, the odds were more in your favor. The good news, if you can really call it that, is that: #1) there's really no learning curve for the family -- you're all pretty much experts, just be sure to give Ryan his due time to deal with it and know that everyone deals with news like this a little differently and #2) Ryan also won't have to feel much like an outsider, at least at home. My older sister and I dealt with this and it really did make life easier not being the only one. The only major issue you note is dealing with school officials, and I wish that weren't a necessity, but even today, it seems like it is for so many parents of kids with diabetes (including parents who themselves have it).
He sounds like a real trooper! But big hugs to the whole family.
And I'd totally vote for him.
Kassie I'm so sorry to hear this news. But I agree with Scott: at least there's no learning curve. Good luck to your family. Lots of love and hugs coming from the desert!
I'm genuinely sorry to hear this. The ONLY good thing is that you already have the tools to treat him.
I would love to hear more about the school bus situation. We are moving across town and my daughter will be eligible for the bus. But do I really want her to take it?
I'm sorry Kassie. He sure sounds like a brave little trooper, and having you guys around to watch and ask questions will surely help both of the boys cope as they grow up.
So sorry to hear,wishing you guys the strength to deal & adjust to this.(hugs)
I am sorry about your news. It is very difficult for parents to know that their child has diabetes.
My dad and I both have diabetes but instead of focusing on the bad part, we use our common ground to work together in managing the disease. Ryan and Jake both have their parents' support, knowledge, and experience about diabetes and it'll help them deal better with it.
I include your family in my prayers.
I came this way via the DBlog Week post, and I can't figure out how I missed this one. (Actually, I do know. I had just had the baby and wasn't checking blogs. But my goodness, I wish I had checked this one.)
As a new mom, I look to you once again for grace and guidance, should I ever be down the same road. And, as always, you provide both in spades. If there's anything you need, please let me know. (( hugs ))
Post a Comment
<< Home