Pump Paperwork
My pump went through its latest set of batteries in a record-low 4.5 days. This morning, I'm getting around to filling out insurance worksheets for two pump companies, so that I can make my final decision.
I have good insurance, and always have. This pump will be the first for which I will have any sort of copay, and the amount I have to kick in won't be that bad. I really shouldn't complain, but here I go!
It irks me that no one I've spoken to can talk to me about the true cost of the pump and supplies. I'll be paying 10% of whatever negotiated rate my insurance company has with whatever pump company I end up choosing. There is no way, at this point, to find out what that amount is. Pumps, if not identical in features, are at least comparable in number and type of features. Cost will most likely be the deciding factor.
I'm hoping that this insurace form exercise will shed some light on things. But I have this persistent image in my head of the pump company and the insurers (appearing to me as middle aged men, clad in dark suits) whispering and pointing at me.
5 Comments:
Kassie,
Are you going with a differant pump company? When I got my 2nd pump, I had a copay- but- they take forever in billing it.(over a year later, and I still haven't gotten anything..)Pump supplies are more of an issue, I have to get pre autherized for ANY new rx(a big headache), and when they do autherize it, its always in the non-preferred brand name (top tier) I just try to make 'em last- its better then having no insurance.(and better then shots)
Hopefully it won't be that bad for you.
I'm currently on a minimed 508. I've had a terrible time with ordering - somehow a duplicate acct was created for me in their system, and they sent my supplies to MA for an entire year. So I'm also considering the cozmo. Omni Pod reservoir is a little too small for my liking, and I just can't get excited about Animas. Copay will probably not be an issue w/trade in programs. But I'd love to know the supplies cost. It's those darn negotiated rates that confuse the heck out of everything!
Kathleen, turns out those numbers are way off. My copay for a new minimed (that 10%) would only be $260. And that's if I keep my current pump!
So their negotiated rate isn't $6K, that's for sure.
It scares me that BCBS has that kind of power and Medtronic can afford that kind of deep discout.
And god help anyone who has to buy a pump with lousy or no insurance.
If I'd had a co-pay, my Cozmo would have cost me $212 -- 2 years ago when I got it -- keeping the pump I already had.
Do you know if they will take a pump trade if you aren't getting a new pump? Also -- do you get more in trade for a newer model? That Minimed 511 sitting in a drawer collecting dust isn't doing me any good...
My supplies run me less than $100 per quarter -- I have BCBS of RI.
Grrrrrrrrr &*%^*%&$*%^#@!$ insurance companies!! I have BCBS of MI, I think since that is home office of dh's company. I didn't pay a dime (yet) for my pump or supplies - now I'm worried I'm going to get smacked sometime this year...
Post a Comment
<< Home