6.11.2006

ADA: What can I say?

I'm already home from my whirlwind visit to the ADA Scientific Sessions. My feet are absolutely killing me (despite un-cute supposedly comfy shoes). I think I've finally figured out the DC Metro system (no small feet for a gal who is used to the ease of the Boston T). My belief that the Mariott corporation is on to something, customer-service-wise, has been reinforced by a very nice stay at their digs on Pennsylvania Ave (fancy, eh?). All in all, it was a nice weekend.

I spent most of my time at the Bayer booth in the exhibit hall. Last year, my task was to hand out Dream Fund brochures and encourage people to tell patients about the opportunity. Because I truly believe that the contest is a fantastic, empowering opportunity, I enjoyed the job.

This year, I was even more excited to be there, because I was armed with about 2,000 copies of my book! And trust me, no one who caught my eye was allowed to leave the booth without a copy and, if I was quick, a spiel about the Dream Fund.

I also got to meet Peter Hoogenboom and his wife Pat. I kept pointing him out to people, saying, "Can you believe it? He rode his bike here. FROM UTAH." Pete & Pat are so terrific, I love the idea of them travelling the country as ambassadors for us PWD's.

One of the highlights was meeting a doctor from India who asked me to do an impromptu video interview and send a message to children with diabetes in India! What would *you* say if such an opportunity cropped up?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home