Anniversary Meme
Twenty pretty cool things that I have done in the twenty years since I was diagnosed with diabetes:
1. Graduated from High School (2 days after diagnosis)
2. Travelled alone to a 3 day orientation program at college (one month after diagnosis)
3. Attended college 300 miles from home (2 months after diagnosis. Thanks again, Mom & Dad)
4. "Fell in Love" a week into Freshman Year.
5. Got a summer job at a diabetes camp
6. Fell in love my senior year
7. Graduated from college on time with a great GPA, a fair amout of debt, no job, and my only truly broken heart
8. Travelled solo to Europe and saw the Rolling Stones in concert in Munich
9. Got my first 'real job' - library assistant at a Law Firm - and learned that I didn't want to be a librarian or a lawyer
10. Moved to North Oxford, MA to be the Camp Director at the most wonderful place in the world
11. Met a Joslin boy
12. Fell in love with that Joslin boy
13. Got engaged to that Joslin boy on a golf course in Vermont (he put the ring in the cup of the 9th hole)
14. Started my current job with the world's best "boss" (he doesn't like to be called boss. He's more of a pig really. But in a good way.)
15. Married that Joslin boy on a perfect day in October
16. Started using an insulin pump
17. Got pregnant once on the 'first try' (or so my husband thinks. Really, we were, shall we say, good to go for a few months prior) and once by accident
18. Became a mom, twice
19. Won the Bayer Dream Fund Contest
20. Became a published author
Bring on the next 20 years!
If you are reading this, you are tagged!. It's my meme, I can do that, right? Do what you want with it, as long as the number of items matches the number of years with diabetes.
9 Comments:
Congrats, Kassie. I'm still behind on another meme, but I'll tackle this one at some point.
I like it. I've just posted my list.
Like nicole, I'm behind on the last meme... hey, this means I've got to come up with 37 items... well, that's actually a good thing. I'll get to it soon.
Kassie,
Were you 17 or 18 when you were diagnosed?(your parents sound very
collected about it all!) My parents weren't quite all that-even a year post-D didn't want me to go off half-way across the country. Didn't anyway, but thats another story.
Nice meme.
I started reading your book (again) this afternoon, and was doing some quick, mental calculations. I figured it must be twenty years for you! Congratulations and best wishes for the next twenty!
Thanks all :)
Yes, Heidi, I had just turned 18 about a month prior to diagnosis. Turned 18 and got a "juvenile" disease - gotta love that.
The 'rents were exceptional. And still are.
Great list of cool things, and a great meme. I want to thank you for inspiring me to get a bit more positive about myself after a recent run of being down - I've just contemplated, devised and posted my own list.
So Thank You! And here's to your next twenty.
Thanks for sharing that Kassie. It really shows that Riley is going to be OK.
I posted one for your meme on Siwgrstorm.blogspot.com. I'll have had it for 20 years this September (well, I suppose I had for a few months before hand so NOW!). Thanks for the idea, its a great way to remember how much it takes, and how much you do without realizing it. Congratulations to you!
Post a Comment
<< Home