3.11.2007

Skating

When I was in middle school, the weekend activity of choice was Young's Regency Skating Center, out on rt 73 in Blue Bell. Dropped off by someone's mom, we'd spend the afternoon skating, crushing on the teenage staff, and crossing our fingers that the right someone would ask us to join them in a couples skate.

Skating wasn't exactly one of my strengths, but it was where the action was, so I did my best to learn. Eventually, I was solid enough on eight wheels to glide around at a respectable pace, and even though I couldn't spin in circles or skate backwards, I was at least not spending the entire afternoon glued to the railing.

I would find my rhythm and circle the rink, solidly making progress.

That is, until I smiled. When I would relax and smile I would invariably find myself falling. In a flash, I'd be splayed out on the wooden rink floor, red-faced and sore.

I find the same thing to be true of my diabetes care.

I don't consider myself to have ever had the excellent control that many of my diabetes peers write or speak about (even when pregnant, though the tools and standards were different back then). But for the most part, I work hard, I get around at my own pace, and I have success in managing my disease.

Sometimes the things that trip me up are beyond my control and I have to struggle to regain my balance, but I do so knowing that these are the unexpected bumps or collisions of life. It's easier to pick myself up and brush myself off when I'm laughing it off alongside another skater who has also fallen. It's easier to say, "well, yes, that knocked me for a loop, but what can you do?"

But othertimes, I just simply relax and before I know it, my diabetes feet are out from under me. Sometimes, my meter is out of sight, my strip prescription overdue, or even my insulin supply is running low. My exercise routine (such as it is) gets ignored for a day, then a week, then I can't even find my sneakers. And food? Well, I'm always one mis-step away from putting aside what little self-restraint I have in that regard. If my meter's not around to tell the blood sugar tale of the box of thin mints devoured, I can convince myself that it never happened.

On occasion, I find myself and my diabetes figuratively splayed out on the roller rink floor.

Sooner or later, I sit up and tighten my laces in a sheepish move to make it look like I meant to sit down just now. I kneel on one knee and place a skate back on the floor. I find my footing and slowly begin to roll again. Because flat-out on the rink floor is no way to spend an afternoon, and knocked down is no way to live with diabetes.

7 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, Blogger Lyrehca said...

Nice analogy, skating and diabetes.

And does this mean you crush on your diabetic hubby, to keep the analogy parallel?

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Fred (Nic) said...

Lately I have been spending a lot of time skating and falling, skating and falling, and on and on. I get to that comfortable place where things are really going well so of course I can let one test slide right? No, that one is never just one. It's follwed by the second and third and fourth skipped test. Ugh, guess I am a girl who's gotta really focus on staying on my feet and not let myself relax quite so much yet. Otherwise, i am gonna have one sore ass.

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Loved the song! Brought back memories of an era gone by.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger cc said...

totally non-diabetes related... but i remember the ol' skating rink to frequent back in middleschool. friday nights. couples. or even, the occasional all nighters at the rink! that was fun!

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

Nice post!

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

No Way!!!!!!

I used to go there too!
I grew up in Plymouth Meeting (just a few blocks from the mall) and would occasionally go to Young's for some adolescently awkward fun.
(Perhaps you learned to ski at Spring Mtn further on down Rt 73, too?).

I was always so envious of the staff that could skate backwards and had all the cute girls hanging on them...

Like others have said, nice analogy. And Oh, I so hear you on the tricks our minds can play on us about certain "eating events" having never taken place! But you're right: knocked down is no way to live with diabetes. Good luck getting back on your feet.

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you wrote this ages ago, but it totally rings a bell for me!
I joke with my boyfriend that any time I say out loud, "Wow, my blood sugar has been so stable the past couple of days!" I'm rewarded with a weird high or low day.
So now I think it but I don't say it out loud!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home