Tethered
Today, my thoughts on why I could never be an OmniPodder were confirmed.
Back when I first saw the Pod, at the '05 AADE Convention, I asked the rep working the counter how people would keep from losing the PDA part of it. And when I said 'people', I meant me.
The rep's answer was, "well, how do you keep from losing your cell phone?" Hmmm, after the first two times I lost my cell phone, I took to keeping it in my car. Not exactly a good solution for the device managing my insulin delivery. After I explained that I had lost my cell phone, more than once, he told me that they sold belt clips. That was a better answer.
I have no issues with pump tubing. As an aside, I see this as like people's opinion of the 'ic' word. Just as some can't understand why I'd rather not call myself diabetic, I honestly can't understand why tubing is a big enough issue to keep people away from pumping altogether. To each his own, though, right? I actually like the tubing because it keeps me from putting my pump down and walking away.
How do I know I'd be guilty of doing this with a key medical advice?
Because today, for the second time, I left the house without my Dexcom receiver. Luckily, I haven't actually lost it.
Yet.
edited to add: I should tell you that I have twice in my 11 years of pumping left the house without reattaching my pump. That should give you an idea of what I bring to this equation!
13 Comments:
Hmm, for those of us moving directly from shots, keeping track of the OP PDM is no different than making sure you bring your insulin pen/syringes with you everywhere. Only there's a lot less to carry...
Maybe I've been at it too long, but I haven't been bothered by the tubing ever either.
Though, before I started pumping, I was concerned about being tethered to a device.
I guess I can both sides of it, at times.
Good luck keeping track of your Dexcom receiver!
To be honest, tubing does get on my nerves a bit, but I would be the one to lose or drop that PDM.
In fact, I shattered the screens of two PDAs that were part of a Fresstyle Tracker PDA plug-in meter solution by dropping or juggle-flipping them across the room.
No thanks. Not for me, either.
EXACTLY - and I just posed this question/problem of loosing the PDM part to Amy T! And like Scott an you I totally have NO problem with the tubing. I LIKE to know that all the essentials are stuck to me. Maybe I KNOW how dam easy it is for me to loose stuff.....
Amy - that makes sense!
I, of course, often left the house without my insulin and syringes. Many times I waited to eat until I got home, or bought a bottle of OTC regular insulin to get me through (I usually at least had a syringe stashed in my purse/meter/glove box).
Seriously, I'm just too absentminded!
I can't see being tethered to a machine. But then I can't see being tethered to this disease for long either.
My mother recently died of Diabetic complications, but then she wasn't that careful with hers, ate piles of candy, didn't check her levels, and gave herself shots at random, I will not follow that example, I'm reversing mine watch my progress..see my dust
Katybr
What would bother me is not being able to disconnect the device. When I want to exercise, shower, go to the beach, or engage in intimacy, I can remove all parts of the pump save for the little infusion hub, and proceed without issue. Being able to take it on and off, for the most part, at my whim is important to maintaining my flexibility and freedom.
Besieds, what happens if you do lose that PDM? Is there a default, manual system on the Omnipod that allows you to still administer insulin?
New technology is terrific and I'm always excited to see what's next. But as far as this wireless pump system goes, I'm holding off for now.
Kassie,
As a pumper for almost 6 months now :) I can say that the pump tubing is absolutely a non-issue. Before I started, I assumed it would bother me, but it's no problem. I just tuck in into my waistband (haven't caught it on anything..yet!) and that's it!
I agree with Kerri, being able to disconnect for showers, sex, swimming, etc. is key.
Interesting post, I've been thinking the same thing lately... what's so bothersome about tubing?!
Hands down, I'd lose it at least once a day. Heck I left my cell phone at work last weekend.
I was never one to remember by insulin either when I was MDI.
I can't speak to what it is like to have tubing because I carry around an insulin pen, a monitor and strips. And I have lost strips and 1 pen so far. But I think I wouldn't mind having a little bit of tubing.
I know I'm late to comment, but I was just catching up on my favorite blogs. So anyway, I feel like I need to stand up for the omnipod - its the only pump I have ever used, so I can't compare it to conventional pumping, but I love it.
In the six months I have been on the OmniPod, I have never once forgotten my PDA at home - it lives in my bag, which always comes with me when I leave the house, because it has my wallet, keys, ect.
Its funny Kerri mentioned wanting to administer insulin if you forgot the pump - I thought the same thing before I used it, but not once have I felt the needs since I got it. In fact I was in a focus group about a diabetes product like this just before it came out and requested they add that in, in fact now as I think, I wonder if it was for this, since Omnipod is a Boston company. Anyway - just my two cents!
no need to stand up for the omni pod - it's a great device and clearly addresses a very specific need!
This is about why it wouldn't work for me, the forgetful one ;)
I love the tubing. It keep the pump where it is suppose to be, on my body. When I used the Freestyle Navigator CGM in trial, I was constantly leaving the receiver in my bathrobe pocket, in my jeans, in my purse, on my desk, in my car AND I can't call it to hear for the ring. It would beep if it was far enough away from the transmitter, but that is a good distance in my house, so it sat hidden under dirty laundry very quietly for hours one day.
It wasn't until I tried this cordless unit that I realized how much I rely on the pump (self contained) being on my body, which is why I am buying the Real-Time Minimed Transmiter CGM--All in one unit, which rarely leaves my body. Curious about the Omni Pod, but I enjoy what I've got.
Thanks for this post, Oh! I don't like the "ic" either.
Post a Comment
<< Home