4.12.2007

Funnel Cake

It's spring break here in VA, so I took the boys to Williamsburg for a few days while their dad was away on business. A little fun, a little history, and two nights in a hotel with an indoor pool (which is Ryan's favorite thing to do).

We were a little harried on our way out the door, what with a last minute rush to find gameboys, but I managed to pack everything I needed for the trip. I have a travel case of pump supplies that I just throw in my suitcase, so I was all set, diabetes-wise.

Our first day was spent at Busch Gardens, with friends. The big joke with me and amusement parks is that I only go for the funnel cake. I hate rides. I'm afraid of heights, I get motion sick, and I'm not a fan of going fast. I did enjoy the tram ride from the parking lot to the front gate, though!

Busch Gardens has two funnel cake stands, one in "Germany" and one near the front gate. My plan was to walk the heck out of the park and reward myself with one tasty treat on our way out. A good plan.

Except I arrived at the park with enough insulin in my pump to cover lunch and basals for the day. I had a vial of insulin with me, but nothing to use to extricate it from the vial. My backup syringe and extra sets were in the hotel.

Even with all the walking, there wasn't enough insulin to spare. Had it been a pump emergency, I would have borrowed my friends' van and scooted back to the hotel to refill. But funnel cake doesn't qualify as an emergency.

And by the way, friends, funnel cake is not fried dough. Funnel cake is way better. Trust me.

8 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Blogger Zazzy said...

Alton Brown made funnel cakes with a pâte à choux batter. I've only had them with a pancake like batter. I say, save your funnel cake calories till you can make or otherwise acquire Alton's version.

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only PWD who indulges in such treats... Whenever I get something like that I'm always afraid some other PWD is within eyesight, observing me dialling in a bolus on my pump and thinking, "What the HECK does she think she's doing, eating that?"

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger floreksa said...

you are SO much stronger then me!

I would've eaten the funnel cake on my way out, bolused back at the hotel, then spend the rest of the day chasing the high.

Congrats!

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Nicole P said...

Oh man... I don't think I could've resisted. Funnel Cake... mmmmmmm....

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

And all that nice, crystal clear insulin - LOCKED IN THE DAMN BOTTLE!! Arg! How frustrating!

 
At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for finally clearing up the funnel cake vs. fried dough question for me. I grew up with fried dough (Big E and all), and married a man who grew up with funnel cake (Iowa State Fair and all). So there it is.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Kerri. said...

Funnel cake is a pump emergency.

I can't say I would have been strong enough to resist temptation. I'm weak when it comes to all kinds of lovely sugared doughy things. :)

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Michko said...

Oh, man do I love funnel cake! And you are definitely stronger than I am...I would have eaten the cake anyway!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home