Succo d'arrancia
I'm beginning to gather the things I'll need for my upcoming trip to Rome. Jake and I will be spending a little less than a week touring the city, along with my parents and a small group of adults. This trip was Jake's idea actually. He studied Ancient Rome, Greece, and China last year and wants to visit all three. Did I mention he's only nine??
I found key diabetes phrases in Italian, so I am prepared to ask for help, a doctor, and/or orange juice if needed. My favorite is "Devo mangiare qualcosa adesso a causa del mio diabete" which means "I must eat something now because of my diabetes". Here's hoping I don't have to use it!
I also found a wonderful list of Italian phrases that relate to food allergies. This will come in handy because Ho un'allergia impersensibilta a crostacei (I am allergic to shell fish). I've noted gambero, aragosta e granchio (shrimp, lobster, and crab) so that I can avoid them when ordering food.
I've requested letters detailing my need to carry syringes, lancets, pump supplies, insulin, dexcom insertion devices, and an epi-pen.
I even have a notorized letter from my husband affirming that I can travel outside of the country with our child.
The only glaring unchecked box on my to-do list is my passport. Yes folks, the US Government is messing with my head. We applied in January (at the beginning of the great rush for passports) and after a few weeks, I noticed that I could see the boys' passports in the online tracking system, but mine was not there. I called and navigated the ridiculous phone prompt system and learned that I was in the system, but with a mispelled last name (Gregono instead of Gregorio). "Karen" assured me the error was caught in time. "Karen" was wrong.
I received the erroneous passport in early March and spent... oh... several hours trying to figure out the conflicting correction advice online and on the printed form. Just to make things interesting, the passport people revamped their website in early March. So the path that I followed to get information one day was completely different the next. I kid you not.
Mailed off the passport, correction form, proof of name, and letter with travel dates on 3/17.
No sign of it yet.
And now... now the passport people won't even speak with you on the phone unless you have tickets for travel within 14 days.
So Monday morning, 7 AM, I'll start calling in hopes of figuring out where my passport is (though I know it was signed for) and what to do next.
The silver lining in all this is that my second set of passport photos (yes, I had to have them retaken. And pay for it) was way better than the first.
Once that is all sorted out, I think I'll be able to start getting excited! And I'll start working on carb counts for gelato...
5 Comments:
Good luck with the passport situation, but you're going to have a great trip... and with all the walking you do, I'm sure the gelato-carb count situation will figure itself out in no time.
I lived in Florence for a little over a year... congratulations on what sounds like it will be a marvelous trip!! A few helpful tips:
You'll nearly always be able to find someone who understands English, and is happy to speak it. I didn't speak a word of Italian when I moved there, and I never had trouble being understood. By the time I left I was close to fluent... but I've forgotten most of it.
If you pronounce most any word in the italian pronuciation, you can usually make yourself understood in an emergency.
You'd probably be better off with shorter, easier phrases...
Zucchero, ora, per favore!
ZOO-ker-oh, AU-ra, per fah-VOR-eh!
Sugar, now, please!
Substitute Zucchero with Medico, Succo d'arancia, etc. for handy phrases.
Let me know if I can help you in any way, and best wishes with the trip!!
One thing to watch with gelato - it tastes really sweet but I know at least around here the gelato places use a lot of Nutra-Sweet. (Asked a cousin who runs an Italian restaurant after spending 3 hours below 50 last time I bolused for gelato as though it was ice cream). So be pretty conservative with those boluses until you know what's in their gelato.
Oooo... Exciting!
Hope the passport thing works out excellent - that you and Jake have a GREAT time. :)
My experience was that unless you got way lost and off the beaten path(which I only did once) you can find plenty of people who know english. I think some of the gelato places did have sugar free options, which they marked. I just treated myself. And in Italy, you'll be doing plenty of walking, so the previous advice to be conservative at first is a good one. A lot of the time the car/bus can't drop you off right at where you are going, so you need to walk there- and then you're walking around the museum, etc. But it's totally worth it!! Have fun, and hopefully they'll iron out the passport goof up.
Post a Comment
<< Home