6.22.2007

News Quote of the Day

I love the press coverage that diabetes gets during the week of the ADA scientific sessions. Today, while reading an article about a study that shows elevated blood glucose during pregnancy increases risks of macrosomia and infant low blood sugar (among other things), I came across this gem of a quote:

"The question is, what is the best blood sugar to have? Probably there is no threshold. The lower, the better," said Dr. Joel Zonszein, director of the Clinical Diabetes Center at New York's Montefiore Medical Center.

I can't believe that Dr. Zonszein actually said that - I'm assuming he was misquoted or quoted out of context.

No threshold, eh? The lower the better? Hmmm. I don't know as much about gestational diabetes as I do about type 1, but I can't imagine that there's NO threshold.

You all know I'm a proponent of careful decision making for women with diabetes (type 1 or 2) when it comes to pregnancy. But I also believe we should pursue lofty blood glucose management goals, but also remember that our brains, carb counts, and medicines fall short of a functioning pancreas every time.

4 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, Blogger If not a mother... said...

Something about that quote rubbed me the wrong way, too.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Scott S said...

God, I read that too and just assumed it was taken out of context. Like everything, its not possible to quantify it as doctors would necessarily like. It should be as low as is safely possible, not bordering on hypoglycemia. Fortunately, with type 1, glycemic levels are anything but level, and variability is the name of the game. However, this shows us just how unknowledgable the press really is on this topic. Shame on their editors!

 
At 3:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not ot worry -- no matter what we do, our BG will never drop below zero. :-\

Cheers,
Felix.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

That was a dumb comment on the doctor's part.

How low can you go....until you reach unconsciousness?

If he wasn't taken out of context, it just sounds like he gave a lazy answer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home