Diabetes in the News
As you've read elsewhere, it's National Diabetes Awareness Month and this means lots and lots of diabetes in the news. More so than usual, as it's been a hot topic this year.
One of the most emailed stories on Boston.com this week has been an article about the prevalence of depression among people with diabetes (or is it the prevalence of diabetes among people with depression?). As an aside, I got to roll my eyes when I saw the quick-link-title, "Diabetics Linked to Depression", like we cause depression. But that's nitpicking, right?
Info on diabetes and depression piques my interest, and I found the article to be very interesting. However, there was this little nagging voice in my head (voices are a different mental illness, right?) that wondered if the research that backs this up includes people with type 1, type 2 or both.
Regardless, I think it's good info. Check it out, if you haven't already done so.
2 Comments:
It is an interesting article.
I read this paragraph:
"A study ... found differences in the brains of people with and without Type 1 diabetes. The brains of diabetics were less dense and less responsive in an area of the prefrontal cortex that helps control emotions and is believed to contribute to depression..."
and I thought that maybe because we have to "deaden" that area a bit to deal with the emotional trauma we face on a daily basis.
Who knows. We are such complicated beings.
Hi, I saw your comment on Artificially Sweetened's web site and I'm also in Virginia watching the election results with a heavy heart. Just wanted to comment from the diabetic, Virginian voting No to proposed amendment #1 gallery. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home