11.09.2006

If I'd Only Known

I am 18 years old, barely. I am sitting on the porch of my parents' house, feet propped up on the porch railing, knees tucked under my chin. I am tired of crying, tired of the questions that I have lived with for only a day, already tired of what will be a lifetime routine. I have told my friends that I have diabetes, we have told my family. I keep saying it out loud in an effort to wrap my head around it. I am certain that my heart will never accept it.

I don't know anyone who has diabetes. There was a girl in middle school... what was her name? Sarah? I think she had it. What happened to her?

What will happen to me?


If I'd only known.

If I'd only known that I would go to college and be fine. That I would go to parties, fall in love, pull all-nighters, and sometimes choose college life over diabetes... but that I would come out of it ok.

If I'd only known that I'd get a job at diabetes camp and overnight I'd go from knowing no one with diabetes to knowing hundreds of girls and boys and young adults with diabetes. My peers, my mentors, my inspiration. Campers who would look to me to show them how to live well with diabetes. Friends who, even after our camp careers were over, attended my wedding and celebrated the births of my children. Friends who, to this day, cry with me when diabetes gets too scary and cheer me on as I chase my dreams.

If I'd only known that I'd get to experience pregnancy and childbirth not once but twice, and that I'd be the mother of two incredible, beautiful, healthy boys.

If I'd only known that I'd have the privilege of knowing these women:

The SugarMommas

Women with diabetes and children, women who juggle work and school and health and family. So cool, so funny, so smart, and so unbelievably caring. My diabetes peers today, spread out across the country (and the world!). Women who started out as messages on a diabetes discussion board but have become sisters, friends, and people I'm honored to know.

Women who understand what it's like to live my life.

I had no way of knowing, none of us do. I had no idea how much diabetes would influence my life, my choices, my path and my heart. But I wish I'd known, on that cloudy June day, just how bright the silver lining would be.

23 Comments:

At 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! So true. In the past year I have already learned so much from diabetes.

 
At 2:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post!

I am excited to see where this disease takes me in the future. I would have never thought diabetes opened my eyes up to some many wonderful people and opportunities to help!

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Lyrehca said...

Very nice. I hope this post provides comfort to some of the d-bloggers out there who seem to only write about the sadness and despair of living with diabetes.

 
At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding us that most negative experiences have silver linings. And all experiences teach us at least a little something.

Happy d-blog day to you!

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaw, Kassie. That is such a sweet post. It's especially appropriate since Thanksgiving is right around the corner.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Kassie-

After two weeks of scary lows and now, some relentless highs, this is exactly what I needed to read.

Thank you.

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kassie, thank you for that.

Happy D-blog day.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Johnboy said...

Oh yeah...I remember those first few days very well, too.

I am also happy about the people we meet and the opportunity to come together.

Well said, Kassie.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said...

What a great post. I love reading posts like this, from people who have gone thru it, run the gauntlet and come out the other side, strong and smart and optimistic. It's really comforting.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Zazzy said...

Beautiful post. A message important to remember no matter what it is we're struggling with.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Kerri. said...

To echo all the others - beautiful post, Kass.

You have always been an inspiration to me, starting back when you were my camp director. (Many moons ago...) And you continue to inspire here on the blogosphere. Pleasure to meet you again, for certain.

Hats off to you, Kassie. I actually just put a hat on so I could take it off for you. ;)

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kassie,

Thank you for putting into words what we all feel. You are such a purposeful writer and can communicate for us all when we give up.

It was an honor to meet you in person and to see that camp counselor come out.........

Dalia

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

Kassie,

Thank you for that. Posts like that make me realize that Riley is really going to be OK.

 
At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is nice! thanks!

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

That was beautiful. i loved it.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Val said...

Great post! Thanks!

 
At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

K, thank you. Thank you for being there, and for being part of OUR silver lining as well! Love ya!

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

We certainly connect with one another almost instantly don't we?

Very inspirational!

 
At 4:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

leg sets pop out! that sounds kinda scary. i'm gonna try the arms. i think.

great post! :)

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

Wow...that's incredible that you know and have met all of those women...sisters :)

And since you've said "if I'd only known", you are so fortunate to finally know.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Diabetes does bring wonderful things in the end. I am honored to know all of you and excited to show Emma this one day. She will never remember that first day. We sure will.
Thanks for that incredible post.
Chris

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) i'll try it there, all i can do.

 
At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful post. I'm glad I ran into it today. I worry about my little girl and what it will be like for her to live with and grow up with this disease. Eventually, it will all be O.K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home