A Different Amtrak Story
I was looking into the recent Amtrak situation, using a Google news search, and I came across an editorial in the Washington Post by a regular Amtrak rider. It seems she experienced a loud, crowded unpleasant trip, complete with people eating and talking on cell phones. Surprising, no?
The kicker is that her final complaint - the apex of her indignant rant - was that the dorito eating woman next to her "pulled out a syringe, lifted her shirt, and gave herself a dosage."
After I put the pieces of my exploded head back together, I began to read through comments to see if my response had already been given. And that is when things got scary. Lovely comments about eating our way to diabetes, taking ourselves to the (oh so pristine) train bathroom to inject, and not inconveniencing people with our problems.
I guess it's good to be reminded once in a while just what some in the general public thinks of people with diabetes. And there were plenty of good rebuttals in the comments. But it was a bit shocking to read some of the feedback. I was going to copy some of the most obnoxious quotes, but rather than give more press to assinine comments, here are some of my favorite comebacks:
"...if you didn't like seeing her inject herself, then DON'T LOOK! Excuse me as I'm now off to a stall in the men's room to take an asprin."
"I were a diabetic having to do 5-10 shots a day and somebody asked me one of those questions, I believe my standard reply would be: I'm sorry. This is my allergy shot. I'm deathly allergic to people who can't mind their own #@$%^&* business."
and the coup-de-resistance (I had to go look up this word)...
"exactly how does taking an injection impede on your personal space, you self-righteous troglodyte?
maybe amtrak could charge $20 for the privilege of not dying from hypoglycemia and shielding your delicate eyes."
We public self-injecters are a funny lot!
edited to add: And my readers are a delightfully sarcastic bunch. No wonder we get along so well!
11 Comments:
Geez ... I suppose this woman is also opposed to wheelchairs, too! The comments already noted that breastfeeding was a taboo ... LOL!
oh my that guy dosen't have an arm??? Shield me!!
What an ignoramus! I will never understand why someone who is squeamish about seeing a shot thinks that their discomfort trumps my need for insulin. It's stupid phobia versus ILLNESS and DEATH. I shouldn't be ashamed and have to leave my seat to do something I do 10 times a day! Who's being more inconvenienced, her picky ass or the woman with diabetes?
rant over.
THANK YOU sarcastic comebackers!
You know, I believe that the intolerant are in the minority. And I LOVE when they say stupid things and get the kinds of comebacks that were posted in this instance.
It just highlights their stupidity to the general public which is the best revenge.
I saw that this morning. I had to stop reading the comments, I was too furious.
I wanted to pummel that writer though. I think her horse might just be a tad too high!
All smiles at those comebacks. All smiles.
Lovely comebacks. I do love a good smack-down.
Jesus, you'd think people were whipping down their pants and taking a pee on her leg. It's a shot. What a delicate, fragile, sheltered little flower she must be. Stupid cow.
My favorite is the passive-aggressive thing you get from acquaintances who are squeamish about BG testing in public, which of course is even more vital than shooting up in public--and less invasive, for god sake's it's a drop of blood on your finger, not a sliced jugular, AND the needle isn't even visible. (I got this the other day, and I'm still sore about it): "Ugh! I can't believe you can do that every day! I hate blood!" (The hidden subtext being: please don't do that in front of me anymore.")
I once gave myself a correction shot at a gas station in Vegas. The guy at the next pump, significantly tatooed and pierced in painful locations, asked if I couldn't do that in private.
I was furious, still am.
But what if he was a recovering addict, and the sight of the needle was indeed traumatic for him?
By the way, my brother in law and sister are both recovering addicts, and for years I resented having to get up from the table to shield them from the sight of the needles. However, since my brother in law was diagnosed and had to face the needles again, however, I seem to have developed some sympathy.
WOW... I cant believe that people like that write for the Washington Post. For one, the gal is obviously completely sheltered, and secondly, not really a very good writer. Lots of trouble with build up there... I failed to see how the lady near her was really invasive on her ride.
And who the hell wears a dress on the AMTRAK? IF you are on an Amtrak wearing anything but pants or jeans, you should expect someone to throw up some of their food on them.
IMO
Jen
I think I may have to take an Amtrak soon, leave my pump home, and follow inject and lancet myself in public.
I don't want to frighten anyone with all the tubing. They might think the device is some sort of terrorist thingy.
Post a Comment
<< Home